Paturi is one of the signature Bengali delicacies where fish or prawn are marinated in mustard paste and generously drizzled with mustard oil. It is then wrapped securely in Banana Leaf and steamed before serving along with hot steamed rice. Here is one of the easy ways to cook Paturi at home.
- Medium prawns: 350 gm
- 2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 cup chopped coconut
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 6 Plantain leaves
- In a mixer add all the ingredients (except banana leaves). Make a smooth paste out of these ingredients by adding some water to it.
- Put the paste on the prawns and give a nice mix.
- Put it aside for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, trim off the hard midrib of the leaf and divide the leaf in 2 parts.
- Dip the leaf over the flame in hot water for 2-3 minutes to make them more pliable.
- Now rub little mustard oil on the glossy side of each leaf.
- Place the marinate prawn in the center of the leaf.
- Now fold the leaf to look like parcel.
- Secure the leafs by tying each of them with kitchen twine. You can also use the midrib of the leaf in 3-4 strips and used to tie the leaf.
- Now pour some oil in the pan and shallow fry for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with steaming rice.