Bhetki (Asian sea bass) fish wrapped in banana leaf with mustard paste and slow cooked in steam.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Method: Steam
1 kg Bhetki (Sheep-head) fish or 10-12 pieces
1 big Banana leaf
1 cup grated Coconut
100 grams Mustard seeds (for paste)
4 tablespoon Mustard oil
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
10 green Chilies
Stitching threads (as required)
1. Take about 1 kg of Bhetki Fish cut into medium sized pieces ( 10 to 12 pieces),and remove the bone.
2. Take one large banana leaf and cut into rectangles pieces & those should be large enough to wrap the fish pieces.
3. Take the grated coconut and keep in a bowl.
4. Make a paste of about 100 gms. of mustard seeds.
5. Also make a paste of about 10 green chilies. Keep all the ingredients ready.
6. Mix the grated coconut, mustard seed paste, green chili paste, salt (1 teaspoon),turmeric powder(1/2 teaspoon) and 2 tablespoon of mustard oil in a bowl.
7. Take banana leave pieces, take mixed paste 1 table spoon on the piece of banana leaves, place one piece of fish on the paste and put another table spoon of paste on the top of fish piece so as to cover the fish piece by the paste from both sides.
8. Fold the banana leaf to wrap the content from all sides and tie with a piece of thread or a toothpick. Repeat the process for all the fish pieces.
9. Heat a frying pan coated with little mustard oil.
10. Place the wrapped fish pieces ( say 5 pieces at a time) on the heated pan and roast for 6-7 minutes covering the pan with a lid.
11. Take off the lid to turn the wrapped fish pieces in order to roast the other side.
12. When all the fish pieces are cooked, place theme on a big dish.
13. Remove the Banana leaves and take out the baked fish and the gravy and serve hot with rice.